Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Instead of opening a jar of spaghetti sauce tonight, try our easy, homemade spaghetti and meat sauce recipe that the whole household will love!
- Serving size: 1 cup pasta & ¾ cup sauce
- Per serving: 389 calories; 9 g fat(3 g sat); 9 g fiber; 54 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 55 mcg folate; 48 mg cholesterol; 8 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,946 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C; 120 mg calcium; 5 mg iron; 484 mg sodium; 711 mg potassius
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt.
- Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.