Egg & Sausage Casserole
Enjoy this healthy and classic egg casserole in the morning by preparing this in the evening ahead of time!
- 5 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, (4 small links), casings removed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Peppers Bell, Field Grown Red, Green, & Yellow
- 1 ea for $0.88Thru 09/05
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅔ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 10 slices white bread, crusts removed
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, crumbling with a fork, until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add oil, onion and bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in ⅓ cup Cheddar.
- Arrange bread in a single layer in prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture over bread and top with reserved vegetables and sausage. Sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup Cheddar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, until set and puffed, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve hot.