Crockpot Barley and Bean Tacos with Avocado Chipotle Cream
These vegetarian tacos are so delicious you won’t even realize there is no meat in them! Low in sodium & fat, these tacos are perfect for your taco Tuesdays!
Nutrition Information: 149 calories (per taco), 2.8 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 86 mg sodium, 25.3 g carbs, 6.4 g fiber, 1.8 g sugars, 7.2 g protein (calculated without serving ingredients)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup barley*
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- juice of ½ a lime
Avocado Chipotle Cream:
- 1 avacado
- 1 ½ tablespoons of plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon of minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (can add more to taste)
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Chopped cilantro and crumbled feta
- Add all of the filling ingredients together into a crockpot. Make sure to stir and then cook and cover on low from 5 to 6 hours.
- To make the avocado cream: make sure to remove the pit from the avocado and scoop the ripe flesh into a medium bowl. You can mash it with a spoon or fork and add in the greek yogurt, along with the half and half, chipotle and salt. Mix well.
- Enjoy and serve the filling and chipotle cream onto a tortilla of your choosing.