The winter months are notorious for zapping our motivation to get to the gym or eat healthy. The sun sets earlier, jeans and bulky sweaters are in, and overall it is just too cold to be motivated to stay active. But, you know what? Summer bodies are made in the winter! Now is your time to jumpstart your weight loss journey today and start your 2018 the way you want. By changing little aspects of your day-to-day routine, you are setting yourself up for success. Here are 6 tips to burn those extra calories this winter!
- Take the stairs. Make it a goal to always take the stairs. By taking the stairs, you are burning many more calories than you would by taking the elevator or escalator. You are also strengthening your bones and muscles, which can help you for future workouts and even improve your long-term well being. If you work at a desk job all day, make sure to get your 10,000 steps in – climbing stairs will help you get there!
- Go to that workout class you’ve always wanted to try. Structured workout classes are all the rage right now. Indoor cycling, yoga, circuit training, pilates and so many more. These workout classes are generally led by professional instructors that are there to help you reach your fitness goals. Most of these organized fitness classes offer deals if you are trying it out, like free or discounted first time classes. Plus, trying new things and mixing up your workout routine can have a very positive outcome!
- Use a yoga ball at your desk instead of an office chair. Using a yoga ball (also known as a stability ball) instead of the traditional office chair will help you burn extra calories while sitting at work all day! The yoga ball helps you engage your core, which helps tone your abs, improve posture and avoid discomfort from sitting for too long. There are plenty of options out there to try, check out Amazon.com or if you like to shop in-store, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Target are both great places to get one!
- Are you a snacker? Always have gum on you! Snacking is something that we are guilty of from time to time. But, it can definitely take a toll as you inevitably consume more calories than your diet calls for. When you are feeling that urge to snack, grab a piece of gum instead. Psychology studies have shown that chewing gum tricks the mind into thinking you are snacking, so you satisfy the urge. Plus, you get fresh breath!
- Take a 2 minute walk every hour. Sitting for 8 hours continuously at a desk is very strenuous on your body. By getting up and taking a quick walk every hour, you are working your muscles, increasing oxygen levels and circulation throughout your body. This not only is good for your body, but also good for the mind. So stand up and get walking. You’ll feel refreshed and more focused!
- Stretch away the calories. While you are sitting around the house or just getting home from work, set aside just a few minutes to stretch or do some yoga. Easy yoga poses and stretches can help you burn at least 100 calories if you do it for at least 15 minutes. This is also a great way to make time for yourself and relax!
The winter months can be an easy time for us to fall into bad habits. By being a little more active here and there, you will get into the right mindset to really kickstart your weight loss journey and start your New Year off on the right foot.